Our capacity to use language makes us human beings unique as a species. Language is present in all aspects of our daily life. If language and languages fascinate you, you are bound to enjoy a Bachelor's programme in linguistics.
Linguistics focuses on our uniquely human capacity to use language, something indispensable in our daily life. As a linguist you are interested in how language and speech are structured, how we acquire it, how it can be impaired, how it is represented in the brain, how it functions in society, how we deal with 2, 3, or 4 languages at the same time, and how it changes. All these questions are addressed in this broad Bachelor's programme in Linguistics.
Is Linguistics right for you?
Linguistics is the ideal programme for you if:
- You have an active interest in languages but also in language in general.
- You enjoy solving puzzles and problems that require a systematic approach.
- You want to understand how languages differ or resemble one another, how they change over time, and how they are acquired.
- You wonder how language is represented in the brain and how language impairments arise.
- You’d like to learn a new language yourself.
Why study Linguistics at the UvA?
Linguistics at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A highly-regarded education: the University of Amsterdam has the best programme in Linguistics in Continental Europe according to QS World University Rankings by Subject.
- The chance to learn a new language: you study a new language during your first year, and are offered the opportunity to master it in your second and third years.
- A broad programme: one of the very few programmes in the world that offers you the opportunity to familiarise yourself the whole subfield of linguistics, such that later on you can make your own choices with regards to your future.
- The opportunity to study in a multilingual city: with inhabitants of 180 different nationalities, Amsterdam is a truly multilingual city that offers an excellent testing ground for linguists.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
Rankings and reputation
The University of Amsterdam offers a world-class education in Linguistics and the Arts and Humanities:
- Our Linguistics programme is ranked 17th in the world and 1st in Continental Europe in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017.
- UvA is ranked 32nd for the Arts and Humanities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017.
- UvA is a member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), an exclusive network of renowned research universities.
- UvA is a member of Universitas 21, a network of leading 21st century research-intensive universities in 13 countries.
Linguistics is an accredited degree programme. After completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our brochure and join us at one of our Bachelor's open days.
- BA Linguistics
- 180 EC, 36 maanden